Friday, July 21, 2006

I'm a Chump

Today, I stopped by my favorite AM/PM to get a Mountain Dew to sustain my caffeine dependency I got during my jury duty for the past 4 weeks (personal injury lawsuit resulting from an accident 4 years ago -- both sides' lawyers were, for the most part, boring; hence, the caffeine intake, to which I am now addicted).

As I was paying for my Dew, a young man entered the store, walked around a bit, and asked the merchant if he could have some water, to which the merchant said, "No." It's going to be 103 degrees today so I figured I'd do my daily good deed. So I bought the guy a bottle of water.

Then I felt good and bad. A little bittersweet. Mostly sweet, just a little bitter. I always feel that way after giving somebody I don't know something for free. So, the question is,

Am I a chump? Did I do the right thing? Did I enable bad behavior (as in the right-wing charge, "Get a job!")?

I think I did the right thing and obviously cannot change it now. The water's gone. Plus, I don't think I would have wrestled the guy for the full bottle anyway. Just didn't seem that important to me. However, I do feel like the guy appreciated it (he said he did a couple of times) and perhaps I have kept a guy from dying a slow death of water starvation?

0 comments: