Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Possible Landslide for Barack Obama?




First things first, what is a landslide? Of course, the prognosticators are referring to the Electoral College vote, not the popular vote. One popular pollster, who actually uses some very detailed and complex mathematics and statistics, and who's been EXTREMELY accurate in predicting outcomes of elections and primaries, is FiveThirtyEight.com, who has the following prediction up right now:

Capturing 65 percent of the College's votes is pretty impressive, leading to a 30 point victory. That's HUGE. But Obama is projected to win by 6-8 percent with regard to the popular vote. So let's not call this a blow-out. Let's not even call it a win for Obama just yet. Stranger things have -- and will again -- happened.
Have you voted? Have you seen any unusual polling procedures? Voting machines working okay? I'm a "permanent vote by mail" voter, which means I'm supposed to get my ballot in the mail, fill it out, and mail it in. Only I got mine on Saturday, not giving me, or the Post Office, enough time to get it to my polling place in time. So, I'll have to go drop it off tonight after work.
I hope I don't have to stand in line to drop it off! That would REALLY defeat the entire purpose, wouldn't it?
Oh, by the way, I had to call the county election office 3 times to get my ballot.
Government works. Just not very well or expeditiously.
Remember, vote early, vote often.

0 comments: