Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Kansas governor says tornado exposed National Guard shortage

First off, I feel really bad for the folks in Kansas and the rest of the area affected by the recent tornadoes.



I also believe that sending our troops, especially the National Guard, to Iraq and/or Afghanistan, is tantamount to putting all of ones very fragile eggs in one carelessly watched basket.



But why is the National Guard expected to respond to natural disasters? Last time I heard, Mother Nature was not an enemy to be reckoned with. I just don't get it.



Shouldn't the National Guard guard our nation (presumably from outside forces like other countries, terrorists, and other law breakers, but also from insiders of the same ilk)?



I could also see the National Guard sent in to secure an area besieged by a natural disaster in order to prevent or minimize looting and other bad behavior.



What am I missing here?



Kansas gov.: Tornado exposed Guard holes - Yahoo! News

0 comments: