Thursday, January 15, 2009

How My Mind Works

I just dropped off my 3-year-old at school this morning, when I drove past one of the mom's parking her car on the street. Her car was a Hummer.

Next thought: What does a guy say to himself when he plans on buying a Hummer?
"I'm going down to the GM dealer and gettin' me a hummer. I hear they're even on sale!"
Now, this led me to think about the sort of guy who would buy a Hummer. It reminded me of an old comedy bit by a Korean guy who grew up in Tennessee named Henry Cho. Henry had a story in his stand-up comedy routine where he talked about his friend, JB, a real country hick, who might be the type of guy who'd buy a Hummer.

(You know, big truck, little tool. Bigger truck, really little tool. You get the picture.)

Now, JB was his name, but EVERYBODY asked him what it stood for. By the time he was an adult, the question really bugged him. So you can imagine how he reacted.

One day, JB had to renew his driver's license. On the form, it asked for his first and last name. In the first name field he wrote the following:

J only B only

When his official driver's license arrived in the mail, it had as his first name:

Jonly Bonly (pronounced in Henry's southern accent, "Jonely Bonely").

That one kills me. So I laughed hysterically in my car, all by my lonesome, for 5 minutes!

That's how my mind works. It's weird, I know. It jumps from one thing to the next to the next. Next thing you know, I'm laughing like a little school girl!

0 comments: