Friday, May 04, 2007

Republican debate ruminations: Mitt Romney

Mitt Romney struck me in several different ways in last night's Republican debacle -- er -- debate:

  • He's a Reagan wannabe. The oiled-up hair, the attempt at witty retort.
  • His being a Mormon doesn't bother me, nor should it bother you. His being a moron should. Here's a quote. Not sure how he arrived at this conclusion. Perhaps you could fill me in:

"I’ve always been personally pro-life, but for me there was a great question about whether or not government should intrude in that decision,” Mr. Romney said.

It was the debate over cloning in his state that pressed him to change his mind, he said.

“I said, ‘Look, we have gone too far; it’s a brave new world mentality that Roe v. Wade has given us,’ and I changed my mind. I took the same course that Ronald Reagan and George Herbert Walker Bush and Henry Hyde took. And I said I was wrong and changed my mind and said I’m pro-life. And I’m proud of that and I won’t apologize to anybody for becoming pro-life.
  • Lastly, Romney just seems creepy. Like a snake oil salesman. Or a televangelist. Just creeped me out.



08 Republicans Differ on Defining Party’s Future - New York Times

0 comments: