Monday, July 30, 2007

Here's an abortion question that is worth asking

Quindlen: How Much Jail Time for Women Who Have Abortions? - Newsweek Anna Quindlen - MSNBC.com

In short, the article poses the question: If abortion is made illegal (i.e., it's murder), how much time should the offending woman spend in jail?

The author, Anna Quindlen, recounts a documentary where a guy stands outside an abortion clinic and asks that same question of the anti-abortion protesters. None of them answer with a specific sentence. "Let God handle it." "Make her go to counseling." Whatever.

Now, if abortion becomes an illegal procedure, and a woman gets less than any other murderer, then I'd have to conclude that the people who agree with that sentencing arrangement think that killing an unborn baby is a lesser crime than killing a baby outside the womb or any other live human being.

That is preposterous. "Let Charles Manson go. He didn't know what he was doing."

Or, "Send Jeffrey Dahmer to counseling. His mind isn't right."

Nobody would say that!

Let me be clear: I am pro-life. But I'm also pro-choice. It's a difficult thing, but on balance, abortion is better than the alternative: Giving life to a child that will be neglected, malnourished, and unloved.

2 comments:

Kid Tricks said...

Good question that people will shy away from till it's too late.

-Amanda
-http://kidtricks.blogspot.com

billspaced said...

Thanks for the comment! I took a look at your blog, and I, too, don't find the baby faces EAT! book cover offensive. Some of my most cherished photos are of my son with a face covered in blueberry juice or spaghetti sauce. It's how they learn and that is certainly not disgusting.

I also agree with you on the DVD. My wife and I decided long before our first was born that our kids would not watch television (or videos) until at least 2 since 1) they don't need it (and we didn't have kids just to ignore them) and 2) we don't know the negative health effects of flickering and/or constantly moving video (we've all heard of kids who play video games who have subsequent seizures, the thought being that the images over-excite their brains).

Anyway, thanks again for the comment. I've bookmarked your blog and hope to see more good stuff.

-- Bill