Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election results for 2006 mid-term elections

CNN has a beautifully-done web on the election results for the 2006 mid-term elections. As you most likely know by now, the Democrats have taken control of the House (expected) and the Senate is still up for grabs.

Looks like George Allen and Jim Webb are in a dead heat and there may be a re-count. This is good. George "Macaca" Allen, the incumbent, should have never even come close to losing, not that Webb's a bad guy, but because incumbents in the Senate win, like, 99% of the time (not sure of that stat, but it's really HIGH).

The sweep by the Dems in the House was expected. This election seemed like a referendum not only on President Bush (if only we could have come to this conclusion 2 years ago!), but also on the war in Iraq, the economy, and the scandal-ridden Repugnican party.

Power is a terrible thing to let go to your head, the the Repos really let it get to them. They were, and still are, drunk with power. Like an alcoholic, the key to getting help starts with admitting you have a problem. Well, Republicans will never admit they're wrong, but the people spoke yesterday, and, as Andrew Sullivan has said, this was an "intervention."

I saw Rick "Man on Dog" Santorum's concession speech last night. In fact, it was the only one I saw. I grow exceedingly weary of all the hoopla and "news" coming out of the coverage (I mostly watched MSNBC but also watched Faux for its incompetence and petty partisanship, just to see what the "other side" is up to). I liked how Santorum kept his composure and talked about spending time with his family now that he doesn't have a cushy government job.

I got a real kick out of his family, though. His kids were blubbering idiots. I mean, come on, your daddy is most likely set for life (as are you) and he gets to spend more time with you.

Wait! Maybe that's the problem. Maybe his kids were crying because they realize that they're going to have to spend a whole LOT MORE TIME with daddy.

If I had a dad like him (I didn't), I'd be crying at that prospect, too.

I was especially humored by Santorum's saying that they guy who beat him (I don't even know his name; it was Casey) was "a good man." He thought he'd do well. I wonder if that's what he said about him prior to losing? I doubt it.

Anyway, next post -- Richard Pombo's dog died because Dick Cheney shot it.

0 comments: