Monday, August 18, 2008

Random Olympic Thoughts

I've always been a fan of the Olympics. I like sports and I like the athletes who participate in them. So, even though I have almost zero time to watch television, I have watched a bit of the 2008 Olympics in China. Here are some random thoughts and observations about what I've seen.
  • Chinese air is visible. And it's brown.
  • The visible Chinese air has not had a visible effect on Michael Phelps. I've never seen anything like him. Hope he doesn't get drunk and crash into anything.
  • The men's 100 meter sprint. I didn't see the finals, but I saw the semis where "Lightning" Bolt from Jamaica, who's 6 foot 5, literally coasted the last 20 meters to a 9.85. Astounding. I haven't seen a man this fast do things so easily since Michael Johnson smashed the 200 meters record by unheard of tenths (rather than one-hundredths) of seconds back in Atlanta.
  • Women's wrestling is no different than men's, except for one thing: The women don't have misformed ears.










    • Synchronized diving is only slightly less annoying than synchronized swimming. What's the point again?
    • Chinese gymnasts may be as old as they claim, but they sure don't look like it.
    • Greco-Roman wrestling is a strange sport. Interesting but not a lot of action. Kind of boring. And I like wrestling.
    • Softball is boring, too. Need more offense. Maybe move the pitcher's mound back 10 or 20 feet. Or have Jenny Finch pitch naked.
     
    • Marathon: Why televise the whole thing?
    • The Olympics brings out the worst in tennis players. How can Roger Federer not make the finals? Same for the Williams sisters?

    0 comments: