Friday, October 13, 2006

End of British / US relations?

The story at the Jump
probably won't put a chill on British / US relations, but it should put a sober thought in the minds of Tony Blair's administration.

According to a British coroner, ITN (a British television network) reporter Terry Lloyd was killed by US forces. The circumstances around his death are cloudy at best, due to the always unforseen and mysterious goings-on during war time operations, but it's clear, according to the coroner, that US forces did in fact kill the reporter.

I know things get really crazy during war; I am so lucky that I don't have to serve. It's still a draft-free military (though I suspect not for long, since we seem hellbent on fighting Iran, North Korea, and Syria before 2009) and I am thankful for that. I am also "fortunate" in that with the bad knees and suspect back that the armed services wouldn't want me -- I am a liability.

However, this latest story, which actually originated at the beginning of the Iraq war, might be the straw that breaks Blair's back, though he doesn't have much to lose since he's quitting politics soon.

Time will tell.

0 comments: