Saturday, October 14, 2006

Freddy Fender died today

I know most of you probably have never heard of Freddy Fender, but his music found me when I was just a kid growing up in the country, where the only music that I'd ever heard was "country music."

He only had two memorable hits, if my memory serves: "Wasted Days and Wasted Nights" and "Before the Next Teardrop Falls" but he left an impression on a young kid from a small town.

He was 69 and had experienced quite a few health problems, including kidney and liver transplants. He also served some time for marijuana possession. I don't write many nice things about George W. Bush, but here's one (and probably the last): Bush wrote a letter to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce that most likely got Fender a star on the Hollywood Walf of Fame. Thank you, Mr. Bush.

May you rest in peace, Baldemar Huerta.

0 comments: