Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The price of tea in China? Giuliani dosn't know it either

Okay, so Rudy doesn't know the cost of bread or milk in Alabama. Does it matter? Yes, but not in the way you think it does.

First off, why it doesn't matter much: None of our candidates shop for groceries. They most likely have illegal immigrants doing their shopping for them. That's what the upper crust of American society does. Plus, I do, or at least share, the grocery shopping chore in my house. I don't know the price of milk (don't drink it so I don't buy it) nor do I know the price of bread (I'm gonna buy it no matter the price, darn it, though I do know I can almost always get a "buy one, get one free" deal from the in-house brand).

So, I give the guy a break. However, this is the reason it matters. Politics is like a math contest. The questions you're asked usually serve no good purpose; however, in order to win, you've got to answer the questions.

Giuliani should have been prepared to answer such a silly question. He should have known it was coming. After all, King George I, aka George Herbert Walker Bush, aka "41", lost a lot when he was "amazed" by grocery scanners 15 years ago, as if he had never seen one, leading one to believe, rightfully, that he was out of touch with us folks who have to buy our own groceries.

Giuliani obviously doesn't take this race seriously. None of them do. The person who wins might just be the one who does his or her homework. After all, our current president won largely based on the idea that Americans would rather have a beer with him than his opponent, John Kerry. We want to believe that our leader(s) share commonalities with us commoners. The guy who pulls that off might just win.

Giuliani gets cost of milk, bread wrong - USATODAY.com

0 comments: