Friday, November 09, 2007

Health insurer tied bonuses to dropping sick policyholders - Los Angeles Times

How topical is this? I had, up until September, one toddler and one on the way. Consequently, my wife and I had to care for 3 people: My wife, my son, and my unborn child.

Late August, my almost-two-year-old had a febrile seizure and we took him to the Emergency Room of our local hospital, after hours, of course (who ever has an emergency medical condition in the middle of a business day after all?).

I'm starting to get the bills in from all the various parties: The hospital, the lab, the physicians. The lab results, the medications.

ER visit: $5000
DR: $330
Hours in ER: 3.

Wow.

Now, here's a story about health insurance where the employees of the company received incentives for cutting people off. Nice.

It's time for a revolution in the healthcare field. OR we're all moving to Canada or Mexico.

Health insurer tied bonuses to dropping sick policyholders - Los Angeles Times:
One of the state's largest health insurers set goals and paid bonuses based in part on how many individual policyholders were dropped and how much money was saved.
Absolutely criminal. Burn in hell, insurance companies!

0 comments: