Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Art of War and Iraq

I have recently just finished reading two books (a major accomplishment!) about George W. Bush. One is Maureen Dowd's "Bushworld" and the other is Molly Ivins' "Shrub." As a lifelong, self-identified Republican / Conservative, I feel partially to blame for our ridiculous excuse for a president and administration.

I voted for Bush the 1st time around. I didn't think he had the stuff to be an effective president, but I chose him based on 3 things:

1. He wasn't Al Gore
2. He had Dick Cheney
3. He is a Republican and self-proclaimed "conservative" (in fact, a "compassionate conservative")

Today, and for much of the past 4-5 years, points 2 and 3 are no longer valid. Dick Cheney is quite possibly the evilest vice president EVER. He scares the living daylights out of me with all his secret meetings, his burrowing in his underground lair, his crooked smile. And more. That's another topic altogether.

Bush may be a Republican (you are how you register), but he's no conservative. There has been more pork in his term and a half than Carter, Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton, combined. He definitely does not believe in a smaller, less intrusive government. The government under his watch has grossly expanded, from DHS to TSA to massive deficits, etc.

Conservatives believe in security. This president talks a lot about it, but what has he done about it? Remember his declaring "bin Laden, dead or alive?" We haven't gotten that sick scoundrel yet. Why? Because we invaded Iraq. We took our eye off the ball and got smitten with a Louisville Slugger, 38 ounces. THWAPPP!

Anyway, the above-mentioned books got me started on re-rethinking how I feel about the war with Iraq. And since I had finished the two books I had started, I decided to pick up Sun-tzu's "The Art of War." Next post will address the first of many, I am sure, observations about / correlations with today's war in Iraq.

0 comments: