Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Crooked Signs Symbolic of Crooked Culture?

I work in a place that prides itself on being fair and honest. We have posters up throughout the building that say so. However, these posters are all crooked.

Shall I take this to be a metaphor for crookedness? Is the company trying to subliminally tell me something?

I have for a very long time held the belief that people who are crooked on the outside foreshadow their crookedness in the inside. Witness Dick Cheney. The guy's smirk is so crooked as to be confused with a vertical slit below his nose. And we know how crooked he is on the inside: secret energy task force deals, secret meetings with CIA analysts who were pressured to cook up WMD "facts" in Iraq, secret no-bid deals between our federal government and Haliburton. The list could go on and on and on and on.

But my point: Do crooked signs mean anything other than the fact that the hangers of said signs are lazy or don't have access to a laser level?

I realize I may be stretching things a bit here, but you get my point, don't you?

0 comments: