Thursday, August 17, 2006

JonBenet Ramsey

I write this today with a heavy heart. Having just become a parent myself, I can only imagine how this little girl's parents might have felt the past (almost) 12 years. I grieve for them today, more so than I did 12 years ago when they found their little girl dead. It's very sad. And nothing will bring her back or erase the terror, pain, or memories burned into her mind that fateful day.

It's hard to conceive how anybody could take anyone's life in such a manner as JonBenet's was taken. In the face of war, sure, I could see defending oneself as a legitimate reason for taking another life. I can see killing somebody if doing so would save a child, especially my own child. I wouldn't even think about it. I think there is a primal instinct to protect your own family and most people understand this.

I will not ever "get" how people could kill an innocent child.


JonBenet Ramsey was killed the day after Christmas 1996. Her mother and father had been suspects ever since. Her mother died just a couple of months ago, not ever having seen justice served. I hope that somehow she coped with the loss of her daughter and died with some semblance of peace in her heart and mind. But I doubt it.

You should NEVER live longer than your children.

And your children should NEVER have to experience brutality like this.

And whether or not you support capital punishment, I think you can understand how some people might just want to see JonBenet's killer put to death for her murder.

Let us all hope that we never have to face such a terrible circumstance. It hurts my heart to think about this.

0 comments: