Thursday, September 14, 2006

American students: lots of homework, little achievement; Japanese students: no homework, lots of achievement

Slate has an interesting article on homework for students. Essentially, the best case scenario is that homework doesn't hurt. Worst case scenario is it doesn't help, either. Having been a student much of my life, like everybody reading this, I tend to agree that homework isn't very effective.

I hated homework. I found it to be of very little value. Plus, it got in the way of play time. My thinking, corroborated by the studies and books referred to in the article, is that kids go to school for 6-8 hours a day. Isn't that enough time?

Apparently, Japanese students, known for their high achievement, have little to no homework. They may be onto something.

More at the

0 comments: