Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Radio is dead. Rest in peace.

I always wondered how radio and commercials work: You know, as soon as a commercial comes on the air, I change the channel, only to find that every other station is running a commercial too!
I should probably also mention my biggest complaint about radio: incessant commercials. There are too many of them, and they continue for too long. I change the channel immediately during a break, but because so many shows are so similar, they all use a similar clock. The "clock" is a model based on an hour which carefully divides the show up into segments and positions the commercials at certain points. Too many are identical. So you hear 5 solid minutes of commercials, for example, beginning at 20 minutes after the hour. The hour probably has at least 20 total minutes of commercials.

0 comments: